Tuesday 11 October 2016

'Making Of'  - Week 2



During 'Intro to Making Of' we were tasked to create a map of Media City of any area which we desire. For my map, I decided to produce it digitally, as that is the area of design that I am most competent with, but the final design of the characters that I drew is heavily influenced by more traditional methods, as they are stylised like stencil art, and are inspired by the work of the graphic deisgner, Gary Taxali, whose style is often referred to as “reinvented pop art”. Taxali works on a range of surfaces, textures and fabrics, which he often illustrates his signature cartoon drawings and styles onto, however in this instance, I have just stylised my digital method of illustration to resemble his.

An example of Gary Taxali's art

I thought that this style created some contrast between the modern look of Media City compared to the traditional look of stencil art. My map spreads across the Cbeebies studio, the BBC studios and the ITV studios, and each building is represented by a character from the individual studios, as the Cbeebies is represented with the yellow blobs that are considered to be the mascots of the channel, the BBC studios is represented by my drawing of David Brent dancing, which is an iconic moment from an iconic show, and finally Jeremy Kyle for the ITV studios. I am pleased with the final look, as it isn't obvious where the map is showing, but not impossible to figure out as it is quite cryptic, and I also like the cartoonish and humorous designs of the characters which I made, however next time I would like to experiment with alternate methods of design.

My first 'Making Of' map

No comments:

Post a Comment