Friday 24 March 2017

Stand Up, Sit Down - Stop Motion

Above is the primary reference material which I utilised for the making of my first armature animation. I made sure that the subject in the video emphasises each movement so that the become more clear when interpreting them into animation. The subject was meant to look as though he is watching a plane fly by and stands up to get a better view. I produced a bar sheet from this reference material.

Bar Sheet Scan

https://vimeo.com/207766286

This is the result of my first ever stop motion with an armature, which was assisted by the primary research above. I found trying to subtly moving the parts of the armature between key frames to be very sensitive and therefore difficult to correctly position, however I feel as though I will get used to this in time. For my first time, I am actually impressed with how it has turned out, the movements at the start are relatively smooth and realistic. I am disappointed about the middle of the animation however, as there is an obvious jump in the animation from where the armature tumbled over, meaning I had to reset it in the same position in the previous frame, utilising the very helpful 'onion skinning' feature. I find this spoils the animation, and seems to create an unintentional 'follow through' effect as the hand is raised,  which is too exaggerated and jumpy to be effective or realistic. The hand movement itself was improvised as I went in to the stop motion room, as I felt the intention behind the movement wouldn't be as clear when the exact actions from the video were translated into animation. I feel as though after the pause, the animations quality increases again, however if I were to redo this (or any other similar animation) again, there are several things which I would change; I would make sure the armature is balanced at all times to prevent it from falling over, I would improve on my bar sheet design, and finally I would act out the reference material myself, so that I can portray the movement exactly how I desire it.

No comments:

Post a Comment