Monday 11 December 2017

Making of Integrated Practice- 
Week 12
Evaluation for Making Of Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqArUAAsMrc&t=496s

In previous modules, I always enjoyed producing making of videos, as I feel its the best way to communicate your processes of production, and this was no exception. Josh took charge of the editing, but I was always there to overlook what's going on, whilst suggesting certain additions, as did Chloe.

What went well
  • We included a wide variety of footage in order to keep the 11 minute video diverse enough to keep audiences attention, the types of footage that we included are as follows; behind the scenes recordings, screen-records whilst working on project, showcase of final work, clips from external sources that inspired us and more!
  • From past experiences, I have realised how essential it is to record my process of animation whilst it is taking place, which I done so this time, and it is shown at a couple of times in the final video. I done this as I use non-typical techniques for animation, therefore by visually showing how I animate, it builds a much better insight for the audience than me simply explaining it.
  • I designed certain graphics which pop up with some text throughout the video, explaining where an external source came from, which not only gives a consistent sense of design which mirrors our team logo, but also adds an extra layer of professionalism to our video, as that is what many industry videos of the same nature do. 
  • I feel like 11 minutes is the perfect length for what we had to showcase, it has no filler and we never brush upon potentially important topics. Anything over 15 minutes or under 5 wouldn't be suitable for what we produced.
  • The video is structured in a way that it does justice to the work that each of us put in, as we all get roughly the same screen-time, which is suitable as I feel that we more or less distributed out the job roles equally throughout the project.
  • Not only did we have a variety of shots, but I think we also had a lot of varied locations included, which once again, offers something new for the viewers to see every now and then. These shots consisted of; Green screen room, Foley studio, working environment and more!
  • A very simple touch that I liked was something that Josh added to the piece, and that was a small clip of footage from each of the English writing students that helped us out, where they explain what they like about how the story has turned out. It was a good touch to have our collaborations give some feedback on the project as appose to it being all us three.
  • Something that I dislike doing in projects such as these, is treating it too seriously (obviously dependent on the context), so it was very satisfying to add an overly cheesy, fake and hilariously bad (on purpose) introduction, complete with 80's sitcom music.

What could have been better
  • As we have a video file of us narrating, I feel that at times we might have relied too much on showing that footage, instead of opting to show something else potentially more informative on screen, as no real value is added to watching us speak. This was handy to have however, as it meant we always had something to show.
  • This isn't an issue with the making of video necessarily, more with the project, but I think the fact that I didn't fail to any large extent, meant that I was more descriptive rather than evaluative in my narration. This was likely because I didn't take to many large-scale risks therefore never had to work around problems, making for somewhat of a more bland commentary.

What I will change next time
  • Instead of tending to talk about the work that came out of the project, talk more about issues I faced, as that makes for a more entertaining video.
  • As I said, I like adding elements of comedy to these types of videos, so it'd be refreshing to keep a humorous tone throughout, making for a more entertaining and original video. 
  • When recording the making of narration, due to the fact that none of what I said was scripted, a lot of things came to me after recording that would have made good talking points for the video, and as we no longer had access to the professional studio that we used to record our audio, I couldn't add them at a later date. This has shown me the importance of planning what it is I want to say, which is definitely something I will keep in mind in future projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment