Tuesday 13 December 2016

Intro to Creative Play Update

Since last weeks session, I have successfully played around creatively in my video editing software with the video of the pan through our art, and have produced an outcome which is superior to the original in my opinion. Below is the sketch which I made for the original idea for the video. 


I started off by having the idea to redraw/create each first piece from each time period in the style that came before it, therefore we could have each new time period fade into each other, thus showing a more gradual progression between each period, for example, the first piece from the traditional artwork will be redrawn out but instead all the positive space is occupied by a collage, the same as the forest scene. I experimented with this, but after putting it into a video, I concluded that it didn't work, as the silhouettes of the buildings are vastly different and therefore didn't blend in well to each other. Below is the original drawing by Alice (a group member), with the silhouette she created gradually fading to the jungle collage to the right, which in my initial idea would take the place of the first image from the traditional period.

After concluding that I didn't like that idea, I instead played around with other methods of making each period blend in with each other better. I eventually came to the idea that would act as a base for the final video after realisling that as the buildings are panning across the screen, the buildings are in theory getting more and more recent in history. From this, I had the idea that I could have all three pieces from each period loop each other, with the speed of the movement increasing rapidly until the movement becomes nothing more than a blur, thus allowing me to subtly fade in the following period over the blur, and having the new set of artwork slow down to then repeat the process with the following set of artwork. I liked this idea, as it still clearly showcases all of our artwork, but also makes more sense with the context of the piece, as when the pan speeds up, it represents progressing quickly through time, and overall is a lot more effective than the original video. Below is the final video - 


This will be played in loop above the model that we made previously when it comes to presenting our outcomes. The sound was added by another of my group members using audio files from 'Salford Soundsnap', and although I am very disappointed that I didn't utilise Foley to create custom sounds (as I really enjoyed that during our experimentation), I think that the sounds which were collected help portray the time period that the are overlapped over. After at first being hesitant to experiment further with the video, I am so glad I took the risk, as playing with the software allowed me to create a much more pleasing outcome. Below is a screenshot from my editing software showing how I made this video.


This week Alice also managed to finalise our group casebook, which shows all our ideas and work throughout this group project, and we have tidied up our model. 

No comments:

Post a Comment