Saturday 3 December 2016


Here is my first attempt at the weighted bouncing balls stop motion exercise. Due to the fact that next to none research was carried out for this exercise, I was very displeased with the outcome, and knew straight away that I needed to better understand the forces and properties of all four of these before giving it another try. So, by using both primary and secondary research, I have come up with the following.

Ping Pong Ball


Due to the fact that I was severely unhappy with my ping pong ball animation, I captured my own primary research video footage of a ping pong ball bouncing. Using my editing software, I was then able to note down at what frame each bounce occurs, and at what frame the ball reaches its highest point, here is the list that I created -

1st bounce – 0.10 frames (Peaks at 18 frames)
2nd bounce – 1.0 frames (1 second) (Peaks at 1.06 frames)
3rd bounce – 1.13 frames (Peaks at 1.19 frames)
4th bounce – 2.0 frames (2 seconds) (Peaks at 2.04 frames)
5th bounce – 2.10 frames (Peaks at 2.14 frames)
6th bounce – 2.19 frames (peaks at 2.23 frames)
7th bounce – 3.03 frames (3 seconds) (peaks at 3.06 frames)
8th bounce – 3.11 frames (peaks at 3.14 frames)
9th bounce – 3.18 frames (peaks at 3.21 frames)
10th bounce – 4.0 frames (4 seconds)

(After the 10th bounce, the ball continues to bounce rapidly and roll for another 2 seconds)
The whole process – 6 seconds (8 including pauses)
Then to get a better feel of the weight of the ball, I then digitally sketched out the motion that the ball takes in the video. This will help me understand the distance and heights reached after each bounce. This is also on shown over the top of the video above.


From all this research, I have created the following bar chart, with all the bounces and peaks perfectly aligned with the key frames –



Balloon


I was also displeased with my ping pong ball animation, so once again I captured my own primary research video footage of a balloon bouncing. Due to the fact that this is an oddly weighted balloon, due to a light on the inside, I have very slightly altered the speed of the video to better replicate the pace of a real balloon. Here are the frames mapped out as was done for the ping pong ball -

1st bounce – 0.23 frames (Peaks at 1.13 frames) (1 second)
2nd bounce – 2.01 frames (2 seconds) (Peaks at 2.10 frames)
3rd bounce – 2.24 frames (Peaks at 3.08 frames) (3 seconds)
4th bounce – 3.16 frames (Peaks at 3.24 frames)
5th bounce – 4.06 frames (4 seconds) (Peaks at 4.12 frames)
6th bounce – 4.18 frames (peaks at 4.23 frames)
7th bounce – 5.03 frames (5 seconds) (peaks at 5.06 frames)

(After the 7th bounce, the balloon continues to bounce softly for another second)
The whole process – 6 seconds (8 including pauses)



Here is the final bar chart, once again with all the bounces and peaks perfectly aligned with the key frames – 


Beach Ball

As I was unable to obtain a beach ball, I relied on secondary research to work out how a beach ball bounces. I found a very useful YouTube video which is very similar to the videos I myself produced. This clip is also useful because it shows the ball making contact with an object and bouncing back, which is interesting because it helps me get a better understanding of how energy and momentum is transferred/lost, which I will attempt to recreate in the stop motion room.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Rdq_umMifo

1st bounce – 0.11 frames (Peaks at 19 frames)
2nd bounce – 1.3 frames (1 second) (Peaks at 1.09 frames)
3rd bounce – 1.13 frames (Peaks at 1.21 frames)
4th bounce – 2.03 frames (2 seconds) (Hits object at 2.07)
5th bounce – 2.11 frames (Peaks at 2.15 frames)
6th bounce – 2.17 frames (peaks at 2.21 frames)
(After the 6th bounce, the ball continues to bounce very subtle and rolls for roughly another two seconds)

The whole process – 6 seconds (8 including pauses)

Bowling ball

Unlike all the others, I was actually pleased with how this one turned out, possibly because the weight and size of a bowling ball is so vastly different from all the other balls that it is easily distinguished. I will still redo this however, as I can still see improvements being made. Again, I was unable to obtain a bowling ball for reference, but there is a video which perfectly demonstrates it (The bowling ball doesn't come up until 2:33)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRVhtMxQWRs

Here is the bar sheet which I created after watching that video -



Hopefully, after all this research that I have carried out, I will make a much better outcome next time that I am in the stop motion room, I will post the updated and hopefully improved version on here when it is finished.






No comments:

Post a Comment